The Children of Hart House
Hart House started with 2 children. As at September 2020, 27 attended, 17 boys and 10 girls.
Short term care is from Mondays to Fridays. Only 2 of the children live within walking distance and our minibus normally collects the other children and drops them off.
All children stay overnight, with new ones starting with one day a week.
The age range of the children is between 5 to 15 years. They normally leave when they reach 15.
We care for mild to severe mental learning difficulties. Some children's additional conditions are epilepsy, cerebral palsy, speech impairment, Downs Syndrome etc.
Parents can approach Hart House directly to ask for a place or children could be referred to us by primary or nursery school teachers, the Social Welfare Department, Paediatric Consultants and also some people who see our sign boards. The C.E.O then makes it his job to visit the child's home for a family interview. If the interview is successful an application form for admission would be filled out and a copy of the form is sent to the Social Welfare Department with whom we have a Memorandum of Understanding.
General classroom activities plus others that have been introduced and developed over time:
- Socialisation games - Makaton (Sign Language)
- Art & Craft; Music; Write Dance - Table games
- Colour matching; Jigsaw puzzles - Dressing, washing etc
- Sports, Outdoor games and special Olympics
- Sand and water play
- Physiotherapy and Hydrotherapy
- Indoor play activities (toy cars, lego, doll house etc)
- Children's videos and DVD's (educational and entertainment)
- Outings (educational, interest, entertainment, transfer of learning)
On occasions, local children have also been joining residents for the above activities.